Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fall la la la la



Happy October 1st everyone!!

October is my favorite month, most of all because of the fall season, Halloween, pumpkins, hayrides, haunted houses, leaves changing, hoodies, hot cocoa...love every single thing about it! 


I wish there was somewhere on Earth where I could live Fall all year round.  I still haven’t put up my fall decorations.  I still want to decorate for Halloween too, but all of our Halloween decorations are morbid and scary, so Justin thought we should just have one or the other, not both.  I told him I thought it would be fine to mix and match but he said no.  What are your opinions?

I bought really pretty white and light pink pumpkins at the store last week along with the regular orange ones, and my dogs have already eaten them, stem and all.  They didn’t eat the ENTIRE pumpkin, just took bites out of my favorite one, so it looks like shit now.  I swear they are worse than the squirrels.  But they’re so cute.
Nice huh?

Just an FYI, pumpkins DO NOT smell like pumpkin.  I took a big whiff of this one and it smelled like rancid wet dog.  Seriosuly.  Don't say I didn't warn you.
 
On a different note, the hubs and I started the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University classes last night.  It was a lot of information to take in, and I know it’s going to be really hard, but we are more than ready to get started!  We make a pretty decent living for being as young as we are and not having children yet, but we spend our money pretty recklessly and then end up living paycheck to paycheck to pay our bills.  We talked a few weeks ago about why we spend so much money on materialistic things, and we think it stems back to when we were growing up.  Neither one of us grew up with a lot of extras.   A luxury for our family was going to McDonald’s once a month.  For as long as I can remember both of my parents always worked 2 jobs just to make ends meet.  Our basic needs were always met, but anything extra took some planning and saving up for.  And as far as his family goes, his Dad was the sole bread winner for their family of 6.  His Mom did some cleaning jobs on the side when they were in school, but it still wasn’t much. 

We justify our spending now as: “It’s only money, why not spend it if we have it?”  Because we are not used to having very much of it, so when we get it, we just want to enjoy it and spend it.   Then we have nothing to show for it (money in the bank).  Did you know that the number one reason couples fight is over money??  In the near future we would like to buy a house and start having children, and we want to be more financially stable first.  We have automobile debt, credit card debt, and student loan debt.  It's not a lot, yet we hardly have anything in savings, so if something came up where we needed 5, 10, or even 15 thousand dollars, we would be up shit creek with no paddle.  I would also love to save for our retirement so we’re not working up until the day we croak.

The diet will have to be on hold for a while, because I have a feeling we will be eating a lot of Ramen noodles, hot dogs, spaghetti-o’s, and PB&J sandwiches.  Dave Ramsey teaches discipline, which is something we don’t really have a lot of.  One of Dave's most famous quotes is "We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like."  This quote is Justin and I all the way. It's like he is speaking directly to us! 

Justin is already feeling sick because he won’t get to go to Best Buy every other week to buy a new CD, and I am already sweating over the fact that I won’t be able to buy trashy celebrity magazines every other day.  BUT WE CAN DO IT!!  I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN US!

We know a few people who have already taken the course and it completely changed their life (in a good way!), so we are hoping it does for us too!  If there is a class in your area, I highly recommend looking into it!  I'll update you guys every week on how it's going.  Hopefully in a short amount of time we will have some debt paid off and money in the bank! :)

As always, I will leave you with some adorable pics of the pups.
I just can't handle all their cuteness!!


Until next time,

Xoxo, Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment